Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Importance of Routine

Today I realized the importance of keeping Junior on a routine.  If he demands to stray from what is required of him, for example demanding pancakes from McDonald's instead of eating the school breakfast, he will always make this demand upon my giving in to it.  He is a creature of serious routine and I must do my part as a parent to ensure he sticks to the right one, simply put.  The ancient scrolls say that we are all creatures of habit, and encourages us to replace bad habits with good ones in order to live the most fulfilled life.  While Junior may make demands, he may NOT stray from the requirements of behavior that  his society dictates.  This is something I foresee being a problem later, as he may clash with authority if I do not establish the importance of following rules, and hence the proper routine, right now.

Therefore my advice to you Super Parents today is this:  Make only one demand of your autistic child, and that is to stick to the routine that will teach him or her the proper behavior to get along in life.  With proper behavior, he or she will survive and perhaps thrive in society, and isn't that what we want them to be able to do?  Stay firm, stay focused, and stay on the right routine!

Peace, love and happiness to you all.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.parentsofautistickids.com/html/book_store.html

    I think this link might be very helpful if you don't already have it!

    ReplyDelete