Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Revlon Run/Walk for Breast Cancer: What is a Blessing?

Need I say it?  Participating in this event once again made me place my reality into proper perspective.  What small problems I must have compared to them, I thought, as I walked proudly for the cause.  And once again, we were given the perfect weather to complete the pilgrimage.

Our blessings may not seem to be apparent to us at first, but when surrounded by others whose blessings run quite deeper than our own, we see exactly how we have been blessed.  When surrounded by others who have lost loved ones to cancer, or who are surviviors of it themselves and in a constant battle with it, how does one judge a blessing, or really grasp the dimensions of a blessing?  Only the receiver of the blessing can attempt to describe it, and even he or she may be overwhelmed in the attempt.  A religious person may call this trying to explain the power of the Holy Spirit, but I will simply call it an amazing notion.

Next year, I will be sure to bring along my sons and husband.  They too could have benefited from the physical, emotional and social therapy attending this event gave me.  They too must cope daily with the ways of life that are dictated by an autistic family member, which in itself is physically, emotionally and socially trying.  Participation in events such as the annual Revlon Run/Walk is a surprising balance to this lifestyle, I discovered.  I am thankful that my oldest sister Eileen paid for a small group of us to attend, took the time to register us all individually, then encourage us all, individually, to attend.  What a great effort!  People such as Eileen, I believe, are used as temporary angels by a greater Being, to deliver a larger message and to deliver it directly.  I like to think of enlightened moments in that way, and I am very grateful to have been alert enough to have heard the message.  To all survivors of any ailment, and to those who battle one every day, I say this:  your blessings are still there, and can be quite apparent.  They just need your recognition.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a really good experience. I have always wanted to do a 5k/walk type of event, but I think to do something that stands for something so close to your heart is even more meaningful. I commend you and applaud you for your strength. Maybe I will see you at the walk next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you had such a good experience, will you do this again next year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Youu inspired me to do it next year to honor my sister in law, who just completed her cancer treatment. Kudos t oyou again!

    ReplyDelete